Vegetable Beef Stew made with River City Root Beer
This was so different than anything I’ve done with our soda that I was very anxious about it. It ended well though and tasted great. I used not so great stew meat and the root beer helped tenderize it. Its a perfect hearty stew with plenty of flavor for cold nights. You can also make ahead and freeze. Try making our River City orange cream cupcakes for dessert.
- 1 lb. stew meat
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Packet french onion soup mix
- 1 Cup green beans chopped
- 2 Cups chopped carrots
- 2 Cups chopped celery
- 1 Medium red onion chopped
- 1 Can tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. garlic chopped
- 4 Cups beef broth
- 1 bottle River City Root Beer
- 1 Cup green peas
- 2 Cups fingerling potatoes
Instructions for Stew
- Brown stew meat in large sauce pan.
- Add salt, pepper and French onion mix to meat.
- Remove meat and set aside.
- Sauté’ onion and garlic.
- Add carrots, celery and green beans then add flour and stir.
- Add beef broth and River City Root beer.
- Put the meat back in.
- Spoon in tomato paste.
- Simmer covered for 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Add potatoes.
- Simmer covered another 1/2 hour.
- Add peas and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve with hot rolls.